- Power down and pull the SD card out from your Pi and put it into your computer.
- Open the file 'cmdline.txt' and add 'init=/bin/sh' to the end. This will cause the machine to boot to single user mode.
- Put the SD card back in the Pi and boot.
- When the prompt comes up, type 'su' to log in as root (no password needed).
- Type "passwd pi" and then follow the prompts to enter a new password.
- Shut the machine down, then pull the card again and put the cmdline.txt file back the way it was by removing the 'init=/bin/sh' bit.
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait init=/bin/sh
ROOT ACCOUNT PROMPTING FOR PASSWORD:
ERROR WHEN CHANGING THE PASSWORD:
mount -o remount,rw /